Tuesday, January 10, 2017

365 Days of Dylan, Day 10: You Ain't Goin' Nowhere

365 Days of Dylan, Day 10: "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" from The Basement Tapes.



Tell you how old I am, when I was a kid, the J.C. Penney in the Richmond (Indiana) Square Mall sold albums, as in vinyl. They had a nice selection between the boys' clothing and furniture departments. It seemed like The Basement Tapes was always on prominent display on an end cap.

As a boy, browsing the records, I'd stop to stare at the cover of The Basement Tapes. Lots of stories under those hats and behind those beards. And what's the deal with that little RCA-looking dog?

If you like Dylan covers and alternate takes, "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" does not disappoint.

The version on The Basement Tapes Sampler: The Bootleg Series, Volume 11 begins, "Now look here dear Sue, you best feed the cats. The cats need feeding and you're the one to do it."

But who feeds the dog? You know, the one on the album cover. And is this the "dog that talks?" Still so many questions.


I've listened to the The Byrds and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's version of "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" as much as Dylan's original or any others.



Then there's Joan Baez sweet-sounding cover from Baez Sings Dylan.


And Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from I'm Not There (Music from the Motion Picture).


I really like Oscar Isaac's cover that I discovered while working on this post.



I make a small commission from any purchases using this Amazon Associates link.






No comments:

Post a Comment