Tuesday, February 7, 2017

365 Days of Dylan, Day 38: It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

365 Days of Dylan, Day 38: It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

How do you like your Dylan? Angry Dylan? Poetic Dylan? Intense Dylan? Thoughtful Dylan? Political Dylan? Disruptive Dylan? Subversive Dylan? Rappin' Dylan?

On It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Dylan delivers all this and more.

But there's nothing I could write about this song any better than what Bob Lefsetz delivered on his blog this week.

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) is powerhouse Dylan both in the studio version from Bringing it All Back Home and live in 1964. There's also a smart, driving intensity to the Dylan's performance of the of the song on 1974's Before the Flood.

And just listen to what the Duhks do with this song.


The Duhks



Bringing It All Back Home


Dylan live in 1964.


And check the lyrics. Buckets full of quoatable lines.

During the darkest moments, I reflect on these words in particular:


"An’ though the rules of the road have been lodged

It’s only people’s games that you got to dodge
And it’s alright, Ma, I can make it"

That's right, Ma. There's always hope. It's only life, afterall. Temporary and bittersweet. 

Support 365 Days of Dylan. I make a small commission from purchases made through the Amazon Associates links included in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment