Thursday, March 2, 2017

SXSW 2010: Chuck Prophet Plays Past Curfew at Momo's

Did you go to SXSW in 2010? To paraphrase Mark Twain, one of the coldest winter days I ever spent was March 19 in Austin. Day temperatures did reach the 60s F, but lows dipped into the 30s. And as I recall, it was raw and windy much of the day. With visions of sundrenched Austin days, I had not packed for the weather.

Chuck Prophet at Momo's, SXSW 2010 (Mike Barzacchini photo)
Things heated up when I arrived at the now departed Momo's on west 6th Street. After a sizzling set by Jon Dee Graham, Chuck Prophet and the Mission Express took the stage at around 1 a.m.

Usually, SXSW showcase sets are a brief 30 minutes. Maybe because they were on last that night, Prophet and band delivered a marathon set by SXSW standards.

Along with his own great songs (Summertime Thing, You and Me Babe (Holding On), You Did (Bomp Shooby Dooby Bomp), Sonny Liston's Blues), he also paid tribute to Alex Chilton, who was scheduled to appear at SXSW on March 20 that year with Big Star. Unfortunately, he died on March 17.

Stephanie Finch, SXSW 2010 (Mike Barzacchini Photo)
Prophet is an exhilarating live performer and he  more than delivered that night while draining every ounce of rock and roll energy from his audience. I staggered back to my hotel, smiling and exhausted at nearly 2:30 a.m., happy in the knowledge that I'd just experienced a rock show I'd not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment